- Having deadlines.
- Paying for a course where 5000 words had to be submitted by a deadline in order to receive feedback from an experienced writer and the rest of the group.
- Being in a supportive group of other writers who gave me encouraging feedback.
- Seeing that the struggles I was experiencing were similar to other people in the group.
- Having confidence in my ability as a writer after receiving helpful feedback from others.
- Having an accountability partner who expected me to SMS her the number of words I’d written.
In case you’re wondering, the course I did was called ‘Write Your Novel’, run by the Australian Writers’ Centre. The course leader was the wonderful author and creative writing teacher, Pamela Freeman.